Sunday 31 May 2009

New York, New York

I've spent this week in New York working on other projects that look set to span the next 18 months. It has been a mad week. It becomes increasingly obvious that I must finish "Rosie" off in order to concentrate on the other things in hand. Yesterday I went for lunch with Gary Hoctor and Richard LaGravenese and discussed the nature of our work, and it served to reinforce exactly why I love filmmaking. To watch Gary and Richard speak so passionately about French cinema and so dismissively about the meat-market of festivals gave me a great sense of perspective. WE DO THIS BECAUSE WE LOVE STORIES... NOT BECAUSE WE WANT TO BE FILMMAKERS. The challenge it seems, is satisfying ourselves as creative people and a need to survive in a material world. It reminds me of Scorcese's point in his BFI American Cinema documentary, where some filmmakers tried to "do one for the studio" and one for yourself.

Despite the energy of Berlin and New York, I'm looking forward to going home and seeing Birmingham again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment