Thursday 21 May 2009

More reflections post-Berlin

I have just returned from a week in Berlin where I was with Fremantle and their various soap operas discussing the uncertain future that lies ahead for television. I was constantly reminded of how fortunate I am to work autonomously from these pressures. It was lovely to meet inspirational people like Neil McCarthy and discuss our projects.

One thing that dawned on me whilst in these meetings, and whilst touring the UFA studios, is that it is the soap operas' limitations that inform the production. In a bizarre way, I feel that Rosie has been without limitation (dialogue aside) and I wonder whether it is this freedom to take the project where ever I choose that has sometimes left me rudderless and without focus. I certainly feel a lot more 'connected' to my other projects, as if I am responding to a higher creative purpose. With Rosie I have felt as if I don't know what it is I am making, and that scares me in a way, but liberates me in other ways.

I discussed with John Bradburn the idea of simply editing the piece together without the structure of which I scripted it. It would be fascinating to see how the whole piece would come together in this way as opposed to 'forcing' it from my previous plans.

I'll get the final scenes shot in early June and we'll take it from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment