Thursday 11 December 2008

Developing story

One of the best things about working in an academic environment is that it has exposed me to other filmmakers and we discuss our approaches to work and indeed help on one another's films.

One such person is John Bradburn. We met whilst teaching upon the BSc in Film Technology at Staffordshire University and we quickly shared our experiences upon filmmaking. It was his approach to making "Kyle" that inspired me to do something similar with "Rosie".

The plan is to act with non actors and without a formal script. There is no dialogue, as I am fascinated to test my ability to tell a story through images. These are the limitations that I have set ourselves. I find that I can create far more effectively within the parameters of a limitation.

This is the second time that John and I are working together in a director/cinematography relationship. We previously shot "Watching & Waiting" in 72 hours at the Galway Film Fleadh, where time was the limitation. Upon this project we have all the time we want.

Like the 72 project, John and I began drafting story ideas together in the pub, although this time in wasn't as stressful. We simply start by writing 1-50 on a piece of paper and seek to write 50 potential two minute scenes. It worked when creating a template for 72 so we will use it again this time around.

I won't go too much into the plot here, for reasons I will explain later!

No comments:

Post a Comment