Monday 15 December 2008

Actors

I mentioned earlier that part of my experimental approach with this project is to work with non-actors. I was inspired by various different filmmakers but quite specifically by John Bradburn's experiences when making his film "Kyle".

I decided not to work with absolute strangers as it is difficult to get commitment sometimes upon this kind of project, so I opted to work with my friends Eeva Rautio and Raul Camacho Marquez. I felt that the two of them have expressive faces with great smiles that are infectious.

As I mentioned before, I am not going to show them the entire story plan. I intend to film scenes independently and talk them through each scene in turn, building up a larger picture within post. This is far removed from my usual approach of scripting a feature in great detail, so I am fascinated to see how it turns out and want implications it creates.

I'll be honest that the combination of working with non actors and without a formalised script is incredibly daunting for me. I'm excited about the possibilities but it is certainly an approach to filmmaking that removes the safety barrier and means that you constantly live with doubt has to how the final thing will turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment